dual-licensing question

I was hoping to get a clarification on the implications of dual licensing. Many developers are under the impression that with dual-licensed software you can choose which license's terms you abide by. Some contend that when redistributing a project released under, for instance, BSD and LGPL licenses, one must abide by the terms of both licenses. Noah Slater asked me to bring this up with debian-legal as this is where he first learned of this latter viewpoint. Can someone more knowledgeable than myself speak to the actual implications of dual-licensing? Are there any restrictions placed on users redistributing software that was dual-licensed, or is dual-licensing specifically to address license compatibility (like GPLv2/ASF) and market segregation issues as wikipedia suggests?