Licensing debian/*

Dear debian-legal

I have a few questions about licensing debian/*

The proposed copyright format and policy suggest that the packaging data
should be licensed. And that has raised a few questions for the trivial
package I'm working on.

1) What is the recommended license? Public domain? Considering
derivatives such is the one based on opensolaris (Nexetra?)
2) Can licensing debian/* lead to license incompatability of the final .deb?
3) Shall I mention copyright of the previous maintainer? (Even if
everything in debian/* was removed and created from scratch)
4) What to do if the current licencing of debian/* is unknown?
(Maintainer gone MIA)? Shall I assume "complies with GPL unless proven
otherwise" (a pun =) )

Thank you all in advance.

-- With regards,

Dmitrijs Ledkovs.