Re: bittorrent open source license version 1.1

[ Fwd to the list, I apologize for the private mail. ]

Hi MJR, thank for your reply!

On Fri, Jan 16, 2009 at 12:33:52PM +0000, MJ Ray wrote:

> qtorrent has a serious bug if it includes bencode.py under BTOSL 1.0

AFAICS all files under "qtorrent-2.9.1/pyqtorrent3/BitTorrent/", with
the except of zurllib.py, are licensed under BTOSL 1.0.

> Both should switch to the clean room implementation of bencode from
> http://bittorrent.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/bittorrent/BitTorrent/
>
> I'm not sure about metafile.py - I only find it in deluge.  Are you
> sure it's from bittorrent.com?  The addition commit log email was
> http://www.mail-archive.com/deluge-commit@googlegroups.com/msg00077.html
> but I don't see it in the next bittorrent.com sources
> http://download.bittorrent.com/dl/archive/BitTorrent-5.2.2.tar.gz

Well, after writing my mail I contacted deluge's author asking for
clarifications. Both files come from BitTorrent sources, but he couldn't
remember which version was used. So I suggested him to update bencode.py
to the latest revision included in BitTorrent-5.2.2 which is released
under the PSF License 2.3:

http://www.mail-archive.com/deluge-commit@googlegroups.com/msg00713.html

File metafile.py is a modified version of makemetafile.py from
BitTorrent, but unfortunately it is released under BTOSL 1.1 also in the
latest release.

Thanks,
--
Cristian Greco