Re: bash completion script licensing

On Sat Jan 03 09:22, Mike Hommey wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 02, 2009 at 09:53:06PM +0000, Matthew Johnson wrote:
> > On Fri Jan 02 19:50, Mike Hommey wrote:
> > > As the GPL and CDDL are incompatible, as GPL code has some strange
> > > interactions with other code (library linkage, etc.), and as I'm not
> > > sure how sourced bash scripts are supposed to be considered in this
> > > context, I wonder if having such a CDDL bash script would be
> > > problematic license-wise.
> >
> > There would be no problem with a CDDL bash script per-se, any more than
> > there would be with a CDDL jpeg or a GPL word document. I suppose you
> > could argue that since it is modifying the behaviour of one of bash's
> > built-in functions it counts under the (already dubious) GPL linkage
> > clause, but I think it would be a stretch.
>
> I'd add that "require" or "import" in perl, python, ruby, etc. fall
> under the GPL linkage clause. Why would bash's "source" not ?

Yes, but they aren't linking with _perl itself_ but rather with the
other perl script they are imported to.

Now, you might not be able to use such a bash completion script if your
~/.bashrc is licenced under the GPL (-;

Also, rereading the OP, the licence of other bash completion scripts
_might_ be an issue, but I don't think the licence of bash itself is an
issue.

Matt
--
Matthew Johnson