Re: AGPL and Debian

On Fri, 28 Nov 2008 12:42:09 +0100 Joerg Jaspert wrote:

> Hi,
>
> recently we, your mostly friendly Ftpmaster and -team, have been asked
> about an opinion about the AGPL in Debian.
>
> The short summary is: We think that works licensed under the AGPL can
> go into main. (Provided they don't have any other problems).

First off, thank you for explaining the rationale of your decision.
I wish Ftpmasters did so more often...

However, I disagree with your conclusion, and I would like to respond
to your points as a (disappointed) Debian user.
Just to be clear: IANAL, TINLA, IANADD, TINASOTODP (...it's a *response*
to a statement of the official Debian position).

> Reason:
[...]
> Citing the three main concerns from Bug #495721:
>
> > 1) It can might add a cost to the usage of the software that restricts
> >    its usage.
> [this is also raised in #506042]
>
> We do not think that this is a severe enough problem to restrict the
> freeness of a work licensed using the AGPL.
>  - Offering a publically accessible network service already comes with a
>    cost that might be hard to calculate. Think about DDOS attacks for
>    example.

I am not convinced that the fact that a use cost might exist anyway
justifies adding other costly requirements.
I don't remember seeing use restrictions accepted as suitable for
main, before.

>  - For practical matters the distribution costs via the internet are
>    close to zero for free software.

A cost which is negligible for some people, might be significant for
other, less lucky, people...

>    While bandwidth does cost money, and
>    having a (say) 20MB app downloaded a million times would create a
>    large cost, the license text reads "from a network server at no
>    charge". This means it is not required to be your own server, so you
>    can use any of the free services, like Alioth, Savannah, SourceForge,
>    Launchpad or Google Code. While those are only there for Free
>    Software - that is the case for AGPL applications.

As already pointed out by other people, there's no guarantee that
running a modified AGPLv3'ed application, while the third-party hosting
service is off-line, will not be considered a breach of the license
conditions.
Hence, I think there's no guarantee that using a third-party hosting
service like Alioth is an acceptable way to comply with Section 13
requirements.

This leaves us with two options: setting up our own source distribution
server (which may be a significant cost) or put source on the same
server/device which runs the AGPLv3'ed application (which may be
unfeasible due to resource constraints, think about a small embedded
system which talks a limited network protocol).

[...]
> > 2) It might forbid private usage of software that uses any kind of
> >    network.
>
> We do not see that it would forbid the private usage of the software. If
> you use the software privately, the users of that software are a pretty
> limited group. And as soon as they can reach your system to use the
> software that means they are able to either download the source from your
> private server or get a link to a download location on a machine
> accessible to them.
>
> Why might it forbid the private usage of software? Section 13 only
> requires to offer the source to the users of your service. As such you
> only need to give it to the limited user set your private usage has.

The term "user" is not clearly defined.  If I get an "access denied"
error page through a browser, am I a user of the web application?
This ambiguity is really problematic, since it implies that there's no
clear way to tell who I am compelled to make source available to.

[...]
> In conclusion we will continue to access AGPL works into main subject to
> the rest of the checks that we also normally perform.

Sadly, another bunch of non-free software will be accepted in main.  :-(
As a Debian user, I am disappointed by the decreasing strictness with
which the SC and the DFSG are applied.

--
 On some search engines, searching for my nickname AND
 "nano-documents" may lead you to my website...