Re: Building from source required?

On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 7:27 PM, Florian Weimer <fw@deneb.enyo.de> wrote:

> Must packages in main derive the contents of binary packages from the
> sources shipped in the source package, or can they simply copy
> pre-generated, not directly editable files which have been derived
> using some other process (not available in the package sources)?

That is quite a vague question, do you have more specific details?

Sounds like a package that has source that is built using something
non-free, which would put it in contrib?

I would personally hope packages in main are built from source, we
often don't fully do that though (for e.g. autotools generated build
systems).

--
bye,
pabs