Re: firmware-nonfree : ipw2200 ?

On Fri, 2008-10-24 at 11:29 +0200, Giacomo A. Catenazzi wrote:
> Frank Lin PIAT wrote:
> > Hirllow

> >> Because its license, contrary to other intel wireless firmware license
> >> forbids redistributing. Which means we can't even distribute it in
> >> non-free.

> >> Except if the license changed, no chance.
> >
> > That would be too bad... but only Intel should be blamed.
>
>  From my experiences, Intel changes firmware licenses, if we ask.
> If you point to other "acceptable" (for our non-free) Intel firmware
> license, it is better.
>
> Ah, it could simplify the task, if you tell him that it would easier
> the inclusion in Ubuntu.

Unfortunately, this doesn't seems to be an option, as mentioned in their
ipw2100/ipw200 license FAQ[1] :

Q. The license for the binaries needed with the newer projects
   (ipw3945 and iwlwifi) seems much cleaner than the license for
   the ipw2100 and ipw2200.
   Can you change the terms of the older license?
A. Unfortunately, no. Those binaries contain intellectual property
   licensed from third parties, and Intel must follow certain
   contractual obligations in licensing for those components.
   The ipw3945 and iwlwifi related binaries are all Intel-developed,
   and we are able to use a simplified license for that product.

[1] http://intellinuxwireless.org/?n=faq&s=license