Re: independent.nu - DFSG compatible?

On Saturday 27 September 2008 04:53:50 pm Ben Finney wrote:
> > ATTENTION!!
> > The rights are totally free for all sounds. That means you can use
> > them as much as you want in any context you like, without needing to
> > ask for permission.
>
> Grants only right to "use", which is vague but not normally taken to
> mean more than "perform" or "run"; i.e. a read-only use.

How exactly can you just skip over the first sentence of this license in your analysis and go straight to a sentence that is nothing more than a description of a single instance of license interpretation? Don't get me wrong, it's not a great license, but you can't just skip over terms to reach a DFSG invalid determination.

> Doesn't grant rights to modify and redistribute, so these remain
> reserved to the copyright holder. Fails DFSG §1 and §3.

Sure it does... it grants all rights there in the first part. We might wish it went about listing what those rights are, but I'm not aware of a requirement that such a description need be provided.

> You might like to advise the upstream to choose a well-known free
> software license like the Expat license or ISC license, if those have
> a Swedish translation available.

Always good advice, but I'd still say the license is effectively the same as the Expat... the Expat is just more explicit.

-Sean

--
Sean Kellogg
e: skellogg@gmail.com