Re: permission to remove the "When you use this, send an email to" requirement from the MTRand code

Hi Raphael,

You hereby have my permission to remove the clause referring to me, rjwagner@writeme.com .

Richard J. Wagner

On Sep 25, 2008, at 6:56 PM, Raphael Geissert wrote:

Hello everybody,

At Debian we have recently stumbled upon a "hidden"[0] clause[1] in a source code file included in PHP since php4. Since this clause is not free in terms of the Debian Free Software Guidelines (DFSG)[2] it prevents us (Debian) from
distributing the php interpreter.

I am thereby asking for your permission to remove the clause; but I would like you to give permission to *anybody* and not just Debian, as otherwise it
would be a violation of the DFSG.

Although Shawn Cokus and Richard J. Wagner stated that it would be _nice_ to
CC them it would be nice to get an OK by them too.

When replying please send a copy of the message to, at least, the addresses in
Reply-To.

[0] It was not noticed until a couple of weeks ago by Jan Wagner, who reported
the problem at http://bugs.debian.org/499471

[1]  From php's ext/standard/rand.c:
       The original code included the following notice:

       When you use this, send an email to: matumoto@math.keio.ac.jp
   with an appropriate reference to your work.

       It would be nice to CC: rjwagner@writeme.com and
Cokus@math.washington.edu when you write.

[2] http://www.debian.org/social_contract#guidelines

Yours sincerely,