Re: Licence query

Francesco Poli <frx@firenze.linux.it> writes:

> On Sun, 14 Sep 2008 17:10:17 +0100 Julian Gilbey wrote:
>
>> Hi all!
>
> Hi!  :)
>

>> I'm looking at a package (GLFW, bindings to OpenGL from Haskell) which
>> has the following licence.  I think that it is DFSG-free, but I'd like
>> someone else to check over it, as I've not seen a licence exactly like
>> this one before.
>
> The license you quoted (thanks for quoting its text in full) is
> word-by-word identical to the zlib license:
> http://www.gzip.org/zlib/zlib_license.html

I thought it looked familiar, but couldn't quite place it.

There is one thing about that license that strikes me as slightly odd.

  Permission is granted to anyone to use this software for any purpose,
  including commercial applications, and to alter it and redistribute it
  freely, subject to the following restrictions:

In the above grant of permissions, I see no explicit grant to
distribute modified versions.  It is fairly obvious from the remainder
of the license that such permission was intended, but it should still
be explicitly mentioned.

--
Måns Rullgård
mans@mansr.com