Re: Advice on wicd license

* Ben Finney <ben+debian@benfinney.id.au> [080914 10:20]:
> David Paleino <d.paleino@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > I'm packaging wicd for Debian, and it's licensed under GPL-2+. However, one of
> > its components ("uninstall.sh") carries this license:
> >
> > # Copyright 2008 Robby Workman <rworkman@slackware.com>, Northport, AL, USA
> > # Copyright 2008 Alan Hicks <alan@slackware.com>, Lizella, GA, USA
> > # All rights reserved.
>
> This is redundant and confusing. Taken literally, it contradicts a
> grant of any license. It would be best for the copyright holder to
> remove this, since clearly they don't want to reserve *all* rights;
> they explicitly grant some of them unilaterally to the recipient.

It's redundant since a long time but it's not really confusing or
contradictorial. It's more like a

iptables -P INPUT DROP
iptables -F INPUT
iptables -I INPUT -j ACCEPT

It's setting first setting policy to claim copyright, and then gives a
licence.

See also
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_rights_reserved
(Though I would say it was essentially deprecated much earlier than
that, but I'm not from the US, so even mentioning "Berne Convention"
sounds like an anachronism in my ears...)

Hochachtungsvoll,
	Bernhard R. Link