Re: Is AGPLv3 DFSG-free?

On Wed, 27 Aug 2008, Ian Jackson wrote:
> Miriam Ruiz writes ("Is AGPLv3 DFSG-free?"):
> > Do you think AGPLv3 is DFSG-free?
>
> Yes.  The source-transmission requirement is hardly onerous,

It's probably not onerous, but it's certainly non-trivial. The class
of things that fall under Corresponding Source is not vanishingly
small, and for Debian to arrange for our users to easily and trivially
satisfy this requirement is going to be difficult, especially for
versions which are not part of a stable release.[1]

> and there is an important class of sitations where that extra
> restriction is very important to stop someone making the code
> effectively proprietary.

Right. I personally believe blocking this case of exploitation of Free
Software is desirable; my only reservation is with the execution. [The
Afferro GPL v3 is quite a bit better than the earlier versions in this
regards, but there are still issues, some of which we may end up
deciding we need to live with in order to obtain that class of
protection.]

Don Armstrong

1: It basically mandates the usage of snapshot.debian.net to provide
links to the corresponding source of the version which is actually
being used. I've no doubt that this the right thing to do always, but
it's not something that we guarantee now.
--
I don't care how poor and inefficient a little country is; they like
to run their own business.  I know men that would make my wife a