Re: Is AGPLv3 DFSG-free?

Miriam Ruiz writes ("Re: Is AGPLv3 DFSG-free?"):
> 2008/8/19 Arc Riley <arcriley@gmail.com>:
> > If, however, you're using AGPLv3 software on your phone that allows other
> > phone owners to play with you over bluetooth/wifi/etc without them needing
> > to download a copy of the game from you, then you're required to provide
> > them access to the Corresponding Source of that game.
>
> I meant that you cannot use privately any AGPL software that uses any
> kind of network for anything.

Yes, you can use it _privately_.  That is, if it only talks to other
private things that you and your friends control.  If you allow it to
interact with the world at large, then the people who interact with it
have to be able to get the source.

So for example if you improve some AGPLv3 code which you're using to
do instant messaging on a smartphone, you do have to share your
improvements with the other users of that software.  But of course
it's not quite `private'.

Ian.