Re: source code written by monkey

On Sun, 10 Aug 2008, [ISO-8859-15] Philipp Hübner wrote:
> The actual author of this file (Edgar Toernig) refused to put any
> copyrights / licenses on it and claims that his monkey has written it,
> because international copyright law does not apply to animals' works.
> This way he wants to make is code completely free.

Let's apply the Tentacles of Evil test.  The author gets bought out by
Microsoft, who tells you you may no longer copy the work.  You try to go
to court with the defense that the work was created by the author's monkey
and that therefore Microsoft has no claim to it.  Will the court accept that
defense and let you copy it?  I doubt it.  So it's not free.