Re: codecs and totem

On Wed, 21 May 2008 18:32:39 -0400 Daniel Dickinson <cshore@wightman.ca> wrote:
> On Wed, 21 May 2008 12:25:12 +0200
> "Giacomo A. Catenazzi" <cate@cateee.net> wrote:
>
> > Alexander Rozhkov wrote:
> > > Good day.
> > > I have a question: if I use totem or vlc (both provided by
> > > debian) to watch commercially distributed DVD discs, do
> > > I have to pay royalty for using codecs?
> > >

> Not unless you're using a codec you got outside debian.  Debian can
> play non-CSS DVD's without adding anything outside main, in which case
> you are using entirely free software and have no royalties to pay

I think the MPEG-2 patent holders would disagree [1].  From what I can
tell, MPEG-2 is still covered by numerous patents, at least for a few
more years.  Most DVDs use MPEG-2 although the standard allows for
MPEG-1, but with a maximum resolution of 352x288 [2] so most DVDs
don't use it.  MPEG-1 would be much safer than MPEG-2 patent-wise [3].

Which package in Debian main includes MPEG-2 support?  It sounds like
a bug should be reported on this if the Debian people wish to remain
entirely free of patent-encumberance.  However, if Debian wishes to
take a more pragmatic approach, such as allowing in patent-infringing
software where the patents are not being actively litigated, then
perhaps inclusion of MPEG-2 support in main is ok.

The Ubuntu people have chosen to include support for a variety of
patented codecs through ffmpeg, but they don't ship it on the CD, only
through their mirrors [4].

> If you are using libdvdcss2 from the videolan website, or from
> debian-multimedia then the you still don't have to pay royalties, as it
> is free software but not distributed in Debian because of legal issues
> with doing so within the US (and I believe the EU as well).  In Canada,
> at present it's allowed to distribute this software AFAIK but there are
> moves underway to make distribution illegal, but usage for non-pirating
> would be legal.

It depends how you interpret Bill C-61.  The only section I see that
might let you break CSS or distribute the software to do it is the
interoperability section (41.12), which states that a person is not
breaking the law if he or she "circumvents a technological measure
that protects that program or copy for the sole purpose of obtaining
information that would allow the person to make the program and any
other computer program interoperable".  But this only fits if the data
on a DVD is considered a "computer program".

If the interoperability section doesn't apply, then I'm pretty sure
breaking CSS or distributing DeCSS/libdvdcss would be illegal:
41.1(1)(a): "No person shall...circumvent a technological measure"
41.1(1)(c)(i): "No person shall...manufacture, import, provide, ...or
distribute...any technology...if the technology...is...produced
primarily for the purposes of circumventing a technological measure"

Yes, Bill C-61 is quite the awful piece of legislation.  If you live
in Canada, please tell your MP that it's a bad idea.

Denver

1. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MPEG-2#Patent_holders
2. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD-Video
3. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MPEG-1#Applications (see second bullet point)