Re: I am looking for a url with the debian policy for trademarked logos of software

Laura Creighton <lac@openend.se> writes:

(Please don't hide important information in the Subject field. I'll
repeat it here:

> I am looking for a url with the debian policy for trademarked logos
> of software

I'm not aware of a single clearing point for this information.

The policy of the Debian project for the Debian trademark is still up
for discussion within the project, though the discussion has lulled
again <URL:http://wiki.debian.org/ProposedTrademarkPolicy>.

> I am thinking about Gnome, and Mozilla, and the Python symbol in
> particular. What should I be reading?

The main place I've seen these discussed is in this mailing list.
Potentially useful threads:

Linux Weekly News gave a good summary of then-current issues with the
Mozilla trademark policy <URL:http://lwn.net/Articles/118268/>.

Later, Mozilla Corporation abruptly changed its tune when Mike Connor
effectively annulled any discussions with Debian up to that point
<URL:http://bugs.debian.org/354622>, which resulted in Debian 'etch'
releasing with Firefox as "Iceweasel".

Gervase Markham asks about Python Software Foundation trademark policy
<URL:http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2006/12/msg00146.html>.

I don't have any links to hand for discussions about Gnome's
trademark.

--
 \       "If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; |
  `\         but if you really make them think, they'll hate you."  -- |