Re: IBM Public license compatibility

"Alan Woodland" <ajw05@aber.ac.uk> wrote in message [🔎] 48071E18.6050406@aber.ac.uk">news:[🔎] 48071E18.6050406@aber.ac.uk...

Hi,

I'm currently looking into packaging a module for OpenDx. OpenDx is
distributed under the IBM public license 1.0. The addon module for
OpenDx currently doesn't have any specific license terms associated with
it, however I've talked to the upstream author who said:

b) If you could
clarify what license terms it is distributed under?

I've never thought about the license.
I'd like GPL version 2, but I'm not sure if
an external module with this license can be dynamically linked
with OpenDx, that has, if I remember correctly, a GPL-incompatible license.

What do you think?

Anyway, I'm pretty sure it's not compatible with GPL, so does anyone
have any suggestions for a similar suitable alternative that would be
compatible with the IBM public license?

Well, if the module is not considered a derived work of OpenDx, then the GPL with aspecial linking exception would work just fine. Otherwise the code must be distributed under a an IBM public licence compatible licence, with the combined work as a whole being shipped under the IBM public licence.

Of course, dual licencing the the code under the users choice of the IBM Public Licence and the GPL is also a reasonable idea if copyleft and GPL-compatibility is desired. (Both licences are copyleft. The IBM one lets extra terms be imposed or offered on the licence of an object code form of the program, but it still requires the corresponding source code to be available to users under itself.)

DISCLAIMERS: IANAL. IANADD.