Re: Obscure license of RFC1436

John Goerzen writes:

> Hi folks,
>
> During the non-free-RFC purge, the question of the license of RFC1436 has
> arisen.  In the forwarded message below, you can see that it does not bear
> an IETF copyright and states "Distribution of this memo is unlimited."
> However, Simon has raised some questions about the Berne Convention, which
> are frankly beyond my level of expertise.  Any opinions here?
>
> -- John

I do not know the copyright angle, but as background, "Distribution of
this [document] is unlimited" is often used in work products for US
governments in reference to non-copyright restrictions -- export
controls, sensitive or classified information, proprietary content,
and so forth.  Because of that, I would not consider it a reliable
statement about the applicable copyright license.

Michael Poole