Re: IETF changing their IPR policy, not DFSG compliant

On Thu, 27 Mar 2008 12:16:33 +0100 Simon Josefsson wrote:

> All,
>
> The IETF is about to change their IPR policy and turn it into a two-step
> process where contributors assign rights to the IETF Trust which then
> grant rights to others.  The relevant documents are:
>
>  http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipr-outbound-rights-06.txt
>  http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipr-3978-incoming-08.txt
>
> The result of this complicated licensing is not DFSG compliant.  That
> concern has been discussed by the working group behind the documents,
> but we failed to gain consensus for making the licensing DFSG compliant.

Unfortunately, I'm really too busy at present and I cannot analyze the
issue in detail.  I've been hoping to find enough time for a while, but
I now realize that I have to surrender (that explains my delay in
replying...).

Anyway, I would like to just point out that, IMHO, having IETF Internet
drafts DFSG-free *by default* would be *very* important.  Can anyone
else help Simon and the other brave guys who are fighting for this
cause?  I hope there's still some possibility to gain consensus and
make IETF licensing meet the DFSG!

Once again: I would like to thank Simon and the above-mentioned "brave
guys" for their efforts.

Insert disclaimers here: IANADD, TINASOTODP.

--
 http://frx.netsons.org/progs/scripts/refresh-pubring.html
 New! Version 0.6 available! What? See for yourself!