Re: Applying the terms of GPL to your program

On 08/04/04 21:21 +0100, Matthew Johnson said ...
> On Sat Apr 05 00:06, Y Giridhar Appaji Nag wrote:
>
> > So if I am packaging a piece of software for Debian and the software is licensed
> > under the GPL, is the above valid (and more importantly, is it enough) for
> > debian/copyright?  Or is wording like the following a _must_:
>
> Yes, I would say it is.

As in,

Yes, including /usr/share/common-licenses in the 'license blurb' text
itself is valid?

Or ...

Yes, one must copy the three paragraphs (under "How to Apply These Terms
to Your New Programs") from the GPL text verbatim and then add the path
to GPL on Debian systems.

I suppose the latter, because, like you said, the wording is a license
grant and has nothing to do with the license text itself.

> debian/copyright needs to give the licence
> status for everything in the package, so any isomorphic declaration is
> fine. It's just customary to copy the upstream declaration verbatim and
> then add clarification below.

Sure, I think the "isomorphic declaration" bit is what is important.

In case of the new machine-interpretable copyright format I suppose when
we say 'License: GPL' it is an isomorphic declaration.

Thanks,

Giridhar

--
Y Giridhar Appaji Nag | http://www.appaji.net/