Re: OpenJDK draft trademark license

On Thu, 03 Apr 2008 12:59:24 -0700 (PDT) Walter Landry wrote:

[...]
> For reference, I have attached the proposed license to the end of this
> email.

Thanks.

> My main concern is that section (1) seems to only allow
> portability fixes, and only for efforts that are an "approved project
> hosted in the OpenJDK Community".  Does that mean that Debian can not
> independently issue new releases which fix security issues?  While
> Debian will strive to work with the OpenJDK community to resolve these
> issues, Debian can not rely upon upstream to fix these bugs for them.
> That was the main source of contention behind the firefox/iceweasel
> dispute.
>
> Otherwise, I do not see any issues with this trademark license.

I agree with this analysis.

More code changes should be allowed by the trademark license, or
otherwise the Debian Project should package OpenJDK under a different
name in the first place (in order to avoid future package-rename
headaches).

My usual disclaimers are: IANAL, TINLA, IANADD, TINASOTODP.

--
 http://frx.netsons.org/progs/scripts/refresh-pubring.html
 New! Version 0.6 available! What? See for yourself!