use of Python bindings to GPL library from within non-GPL Python toolkit

Dear Legal People,

I am one of the developers of PyMVPA toolbox [1], which we currently
distribute under MIT License. It is written in Python and is actually a
framework either to create scripts for the analysis or just perform
analysis interactively within python (ipython) shell environment.

Recently we decided to make use of shogun library inside of
PyMVPA, which has python bindings available. Shogun is distributed
under GPL (not LGPL).

IIRC Python itself, since it is simply a programming language, is
not limited in licensing terms to what libraries are allowed to be used
(not shipped) within Python, thus it is ok to use shogun within Python.

But do we have to double-license PyMVPA for people to be legally able to
use shogun functionality within PyMVPA? or since we don't explicitly
link to shogun, neither bundle it together we are ok? We don't want to
switch to GPL completely since we don't want to limit MIT-compatible
licensed software to absorb/use our (non-GPLed) code.

If we do have to release it under GPL as well, would it be ok to
distribute entire PyMVPA in a single package and just mention that some
parts of PyMVPA (which make use of GPL) cannot be distributed/used under
MIT license and are distributed solely under GPL?

Thank you in advance for clarifications

[1] http://pkg-exppsy.alioth.debian.org/pymvpa/

--
Yaroslav Halchenko
Research Assistant, Psychology Department, Rutgers-Newark