Eiffel Forum License v2 [was: Re: Choosing a License: GNU APL? AFL 3.0?]

On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 10:43:38 +0000 Sean B. Palmer wrote:

[...]
> I'm currently thinking
> about the Eiffel Forum License version 2, which is a pretty concise
> license. It fails the column C test, but the single clause that makes
> it fail:
>
>           * any distribution of this package, whether modified or not,
>       includes this license text.
>
>  - http://www.eiffel-nice.org/license/eiffel-forum-license-2.txt
>
> Could easily be deleted. Is it DFSG compatible? Would it still be DFSG
> compatible with this clause deleted?

For future reference the full text of the Eiffel Forum License, version
2 is quoted below:

  Eiffel Forum License, version 2

   1. Permission is hereby granted to use, copy, modify and/or
      distribute this package, provided that:
          * copyright notices are retained unchanged,
          * any distribution of this package, whether modified or not,
      includes this license text.
   2. Permission is hereby also granted to distribute binary programs
      which depend on this package. If the binary program depends on a
      modified version of this package, you are encouraged to publicly
      release the modified version of this package.

***********************

THIS PACKAGE IS PROVIDED "AS IS" AND WITHOUT WARRANTY. ANY EXPRESS OR
IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED
WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE
DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHORS BE LIABLE TO ANY PARTY FOR ANY
DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL
DAMAGES ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS PACKAGE.

***********************

I think that works solely licensed under these terms comply with the
DFSG.
The reasons are: I don't see any clause in conflict with any DFSG; it's
compatible with the GNU GPL v2, as stated by the FSF
(http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html).

Moreover, there are (or have been) packages in Debian (main) licensed
under the Eiffel Forum License, version 2: one example is gobo
(http://packages.debian.org/source/etch/gobo).

Big disclaimers for this analysis: IANAL, TINLA, IANADD, TINASOTODP.

--
 http://frx.netsons.org/progs/scripts/refresh-pubring.html
 New! Version 0.6 available! What? See for yourself!