Re: algorithm copyright? what's that?

On Tue, Oct 02, 2007 at 02:20:46PM +0200, Nicolas Limare wrote:
>       Terms and conditions for using, copying, distribution and
>       modification of FooBar versions 2.x and 3.x.
>
>       You acknowledge to be informed about the following facts, and
>       you accept the consequences:
[...]
>       You agree to:
[...]

> But, I wonder if this licence has any legal value.

It reads to me like a contract, not a (bare) license.  In the contract,
the other party is granted the copyright license to copy, modify etc and
in exchange the party agrees to follow those other (non-copyright)
requirements (sort of like someone might agree to pay a specific sum,
which is not a copyright requirement either).

I wouldn't say it is obviously without legal value, and as a
conservative estimate I would assume that the whole document is legally
binding.  Beyond that, I cannot say.

> Is it a kind of "algorithm copyright"?

No.

IANAL etc

--
Antti-Juhani Kaijanaho, Jyväskylä, Finland
http://antti-juhani.kaijanaho.fi/newblog/