Re: Skype license

On Sun, Aug 12, 2007 at 10:53:42PM +0200, Øystein Gisnås wrote:
> I got a request from a Skype employee who was eager to distribute
> Skype with Debian. I replied that the current license probably is not
> compatible with DFSG

Are you joking?

    http://www.skype.com/help/faq/technical.html:

    Is the source code for Skype available? Can I have a copy?

    No. Skype is proprietary and closed-source software.

Hell no, it's not compatible with the DFSG.

> and promised to ask debian-legal what has to be
> done with Skype's license to make it distributable.

> In it's current form, I don't think Skype is suitable even for
> non-free. So the primary question is "What has to change in Skype's
> license to make it distributable in non-free?", with the secondary
> question being the same for main.

Why is this second question even worth asking?

As for suitability for non-free:  I think it would be a net loss for us
to distribute this software at all, because by its nature VoIP benefits
strongly from network effects and Skype is not a model that's compatible
with the goals of software freedom, so making it more readily available to
Debian users works against having a usable open VoIP standard.  I don't
think we should lightly agree to serve as a distribution channel for
software that's so very bad for us.

But, if someone really insists on trying to include it in non-free, here are
the issues:

> 1.3 You will not distribute other products or services together with Skype
> Software, unless You are a publisher of computer magazines for end users
> and distribute the Skype Software with Your magazine(s) for free.

We distribute lots of things together in non-free.  This clause is broad
enough that it's not clear whether non-free fails it.

> 1.4 You will not distribute Skype Software through other media than CD-ROM
> or DVD, unless approved by Skype in an explicit written communication to
> You.

The *primary* means of distribution of non-free is via ftp/http, not via
CD-ROM or DVD; there is (or has been in the past) software in non-free whose
license prohibited inclusion on CDs.

> 1.5 You will acknowledge that the provisions of the Agreement must be
> agreed to by all end users who install the Skype Software that You
> distribute.

Onerous requirement that we somehow enforce Skype's EULA on their behalf.

> 1.6 You will not undertake, cause, permit or authorize the modification,
> creation of derivative works, translation, reverse engineering,
> decompiling, disassembling or hacking of the Skype Software or any part
> thereof. Further, You will not make any indications about Skype???s
> intellectual property rights illegible.

"Permit" again implies we're expected to enforce their license for them.
Pass.

Furthermore, reverse-engineering is a protected right in many jurisdictions.
Debian should not agree to such terms as a condition of distributing this
software, and we shouldn't leave our mirror sites in a situation where
they're implicitly agreeing to this either.

> 1.7 You will not harm, misuse or bring into disrepute Skype, the Skype
> Software and the services of Skype, on the contrary, You will maintain the
> value and reputation thereof to the best of Your abilities.

Reading this makes me want to post a manifesto on Skype so that Debian
*can't* distribute it under the terms of this license...

> 1.8 You will constantly monitor the Skype Website in order to ensure that
> You are distributing the latest stable version of the Skype Software as
> well as that You are aware of any changes in the applicable legal
> documents. In the event that You cannot agree on any changes in any
> applicable legal document You will immediate cease any and all
> distribution of the Skype Software and, where applicable, any and all use
> of the Skype Software.

Makes it unsuitable for inclusion in a stable release; otherwise nothing
that would prevent inclusion in non-free, annoying though it is.

open protocols and open standards, instead of engaging in legalistic wanking
for the privilege of distributing software prepared by our proprietary
overlords.