Re: LGPL v3 compatibilty

On Mon, Jul 16, 2007 at 08:39:10AM +0100, Måns Rullgård <mans@mansr.com> wrote:
> Walter Landry <walter@geodynamics.org> writes:
>
> > Francesco Poli <frx@firenze.linux.it> wrote:

> >> Is the Linux kernel linked with any LGPL'd work?
> >> AFAIUI, it is not, so no problem for the kernel.
> >
> > Doesn't the kernel get its implementations for pow(), sqrt(),
> > printf(), and the rest of the C standard library from glibc, which is
> > LGPL'd?
>
> No.  The kernel is completely self-contained.  Some code may of course
> have been borrowed from glibc at some point, but that's irrelevant.

Borrowed code *is* relevant, because you can't borrow code *and* change its
license without authorization. What makes it irrelevant is that the
borrowed code is LGPL'ed. And LGPL code can happily be relicensed to GPL,
as stated in the LGPL text. Thus the kernel code that was borrowed from
glibc is GPL.

Mike