Re: Final text of GPL v3

On Tue, Jul 03, 2007 at 12:50:18AM +0100, Stephen Gran wrote:
> > I think you are talking about clause 3b of GPLv2, aren't you?
> >
> > Maybe you picked the wrong example, because clause 3b *is* a non-free
> > restriction.  Fortunately there's another alternative option,
> > represented by clause 3a, which is DFSG-free, and consequently GPLv2
> > is acceptable.
>
> No, again you have misread the DFSG.  3b is DFSG free, because the DFSG
> says the GPL v2 is free.  Debian currently uses 3a because it is much
> less effort, but that doesn't mean that 3b is non free.

Bzzt, wrong.  (a or b) being true doesn't imply that (a and b).  It means
only that at least one of them is ok, not necessarily both.

GPL-2 says "provided that you also do one of the following".  "one of", not
"all of".

--
1KB		// Microsoft corollary to Hanlon's razor:
		//	Never attribute to stupidity what can be