Re: Final text of GPL v3

"Florian Weimer" <fw@deneb.enyo.de> wrote in message [🔎] 87r6ns2z6g.fsf@mid.deneb.enyo.de">news:[🔎] 87r6ns2z6g.fsf@mid.deneb.enyo.de...
* Francesco Poli:

To be honest, I can't see any problems with this particular aspect of
the SHING GPL.

"SHING GPL" ?

"Sun HP IBM Nokia Google", major funders of the FSF and beneficiaries
of this clause:

| You may convey covered works to others for the sole purpose of
| having them make modifications exclusively for you, or provide you
| with facilities for running those works, provided that you comply
| with the terms of this License in conveying all material for which
| you do not control copyright. Those thus making or running the
| covered works for you must do so exclusively on your behalf, under
| your direction and control, on terms that prohibit them from making
| any copies of your copyrighted material outside their relationship
| with you.

Among other things, this allows to run
GPLv3-software-turned-proprietary on grid-like services.  I would have
preferred that this remained a grey area.

On the other hand, without this, there would be the legal questions of runing GPL software on your web server, when you do not own the server. (I think that some colo-facilities work like this, and know that some hosting services work like this.)

I'm not really to concerned with people running modified GPL'ed programs on third party grid services, as they could in theory do the same thing with an internal grid service if they had one. Ideally they would release any useful changes anyway. If not it still does not seem like too big a deal (to me).