Re: Final text of GPL v3

On Sun, 1 Jul 2007 10:31:00 -0700 Sean Kellogg wrote:

[...]
> I will try to explain a few
> things based on what I  know from law school. First up, there is a
> pretty well established definition  for what constitutes "legal
> advice." It can be phrased as: "particular  courses of action in
> response to particular facts."  The particularity is  key.
>
> Here a good pair of examples --
>
> Not Legal Advice:
> Q: Is it true that a judge can reduce your traffic ticket.
> A: Yes.
>
> Legal Advice:
> Q: I got a traffic ticket for going 20 miles over the speed limit,
> what should  I do?
> A: Go to the judge and argue for a decrease in the fine.

My case was:

Q: Could this requirement be interpreted more liberally?
A: I wish it could, but I am afraid it cannot...  :-(

Frankly speaking, it seems more similar to your first example, than to
your second one...

I mean: we were *not* talking about particular facts.  Iain Nicol was
*not* telling me that he modified a GPLv3'd work and got sued by
upstream because his newly implemented interactive interface does not
display Appropriate Legal Notices.
I did *not* suggest a particular course of action.  I did *not* answer
"the requirement cannot be interpreted more liberally, but you can
instead tell the judge that ..."

What we were doing was discussing about possible interpretations of a
clause in a just-published license...

[...]
> Where Francesco went wrong,  in my opinion, is
> giving a definite answer to a definite question about a  third-party
> license.

Is "I am afraid it cannot" a definite answer?
It does not even seem to express certainty...

I am not an English native speaker, so I could be wrong about what
sounds as a definite answer to an English mothertongue's ear.
Should I begin to add IANAENS, to the list of disclaimers?

--
 http://frx.netsons.org/doc/nanodocs/testing_workstation_install.html
 Need to read a Debian testing installation walk-through?