Re: help with crafting proper license header for a dual-licensing project

On Tue, 29 May 2007, Francesco Poli wrote:
> The first common meanings of the word "proprietary" seem to refer to
> the concept of property, owning, and trademark/patent/copyright.

They refer to the concept of property which is *exclusively* owned and
controlled, such that a single entity is able to market and sell it.

> what's your definition of "proprietary software", then? Software
> with source code kept secret?

Software whose use, modification, selling, or distribution is
controlled exclusively by a single party, generally by restricting
access to the source code and/or restrictive licencing agreements.

> Just a nit-pick, not really interchangeably, because of semi-free
> software. I am deliberately neglecting semi-free software here.

Well, that's the root of our contention then. As proprietary software
does not encompass the entire set of non-free software, you should not
use the terms interchangeably.

Don Armstrong

--
All bad precedents began as justifiable measures.
 -- Gaius Julius Caesar in "The Conspiracy of Catiline" by Sallust