Re: Request for suggestions of DFSG-free documentation licences

Shriramana Sharma <samjnaa@gmail.com> writes:

> Thanks for all your feedback, but the GPL also has some clauses that
> are not applicable to documentation as pointed out at:
>
> http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#WhyNotGPLForManuals

If you re-read that section, it mostly addresses the FSF's desire for
you to use their problematic FDL for documentation. Other messages in
this thread have already pointed you to the problems for using the
FDL.

The only part in that section that actually addresses the GPL is:

=====
The GPL was designed for programs; it contains lots of complex clauses
that are crucial for programs, but that would be cumbersome and
unnecessary for a book or manual. For instance, anyone publishing the
book on paper would have to either include machine-readable "source
code" of the book along with each printed copy, or provide a written
offer to send the "source code" later.
=====

The "lot of complex clauses ... that would be cumbersome and
unnecessary" is greatly outweighed by the huge simplification that
comes from having *all* software in a package -- programs,
documentation, data -- licensed the same way, as already addressed in
this thread.

The only specific example given of a problem for the GPL applied to
documentation is the requirement for the recipient to have access to
the source. When distributing the package electronically, this is
obviously no more a problem than for any other part of the
software. When printing the book, a written offer to provide the
source on request is sufficient.

In summary: Please consider that section to be contrary to
debian-legal's opinion of licensing. It's the view of most people on
this list -- even most of those who *don't* see a problem with the FDL
-- that it is still better to license all software in a package under
the same license terms. If you want to choose the GPL for this,
there's no problem with, and great convenience from, licensing all the
software under those terms.

--
 \       "Kill myself? Killing myself is the last thing I'd ever do."  |
  `\                                          -- Homer, _The Simpsons_ |