Re: Request for suggestions of DFSG-free documentation licences

On Tuesday 22 May 2007 08:09:33 Ben Finney wrote:
> The consensus (not unanimous, but consensus nonetheless) of
> debian-legal is that the DFSG, regardless of which of its clauses are
> exercised, is non-free for any software, including documentation.

(I assume you meant "GFDL" here instead of "DFSG".)

It's stretching quite a bit to call it consensus, but anyway, given that the
GPL and other good Free Software licenses can work perfectly fine for both
software and documentation, there isn't much reason IMO to use the GFDL.

I would personally recommend just using the GPL, or if you must use the GFDL
for compatibility with something, dual-licensing both GFDL and GPL.

--
Wesley J. Landaker <wjl@icecavern.net> <xmpp:wjl@icecavern.net>