Re: Can a font with an unfree character be free?

On Mon, 14 May 2007, Nathan Edgars II wrote:
> The International Symbol of Access (the wheelchair symbol that's
> used all over the place), to the best of my knowledge, is unfree.
> Its conditions of use can be seen at
> http://www.dinf.ne.jp/doc/japanese/resource/other/z00014/z0001406_e.html
> It's also a unicode codepoint.

That's the conditions of use of the ISA which is copyright by ICTA or
whatever the UN group is now who holds the copyright.

So long as the font character is not a derivative work of the
copyrighted symbol, then the rules regarding its use do not apply.

> If a font includes this as a character, can it be free?

Considering the fact that the actual symbol is a white wheelchair on a
blue background, it's not clear that a black font would be a
derivative work of such a design.

Baring such a specific claim by ICTA or another copyright holder,
there's no need to even address the issue.

Don Armstrong

--
"The trouble with you, Ibid" he said, "is that you think you're the
biggest bloody authority on everything"