Re: Request licence review

On Wed, 2 May 2007 19:57:25 -0600 Wesley J. Landaker wrote:

> On Wednesday 02 May 2007 11:13:48 Andrew Sidwell wrote:
[...]
> > Distribution of all other altered
> > copies is permitted as long as credit for previous authors is
> > maintained, the contact information is replaced with that of the
> > alterer, and redistribution is not further restricted.
>
> With the third case ("all other altered copies") which is what would
> apply  if you start changing the manual, you've got to:
[...]
>   2) Put your contact information.
>
> This is fine. Many free licenses, like the GPL, require you to mark
> altered  copies with the date of modification; this is even less
> restrictive.
[...]

It's not necessarily fine.  It depends on which is the intended meaning
of "contact information".

If I can replace the previous contact information with something like:

|  Modified by anonymous.
|
|  No contact information is provided.

and that counts as the "contact information" of the "alterer", then it's
fine.

If I am instead compelled to disclose my indentity in order to
distribute altered copies, then it's not fine, IMO.
Being forced to disclose one's own identity can be a fee and thus fail
DFSG#1.

Compare with GNU GPL v2, section 2., subclause a, which states:

]   a) You must cause the modified files to carry prominent notices
]   stating that you changed the files and the date of any change.

and thus does not insist that your identity be disclosed.
You can just say that you changed the files and declare the date of any
change: this will suffice, without necessarily disclosing your real
identity (you can use a nick, a pseudonym, or simply the "anonymous"
term).

IMO, this license does not clearly meet the DFSG.
It could, but that depends on the interpretation of this specific
clause, which seems to be ambiguous.

--
 http://frx.netsons.org/doc/nanodocs/testing_workstation_install.html
 Need to read a Debian testing installation walk-through?