Re: Request for GR: clarifying the license text licensing / freeness issue

Ian Jackson <ian@davenant.greenend.org.uk> writes:

> Ben Finney writes ("Re: Request for GR: clarifying the license text licensing / freeness issue"):
> > [The status quo] doesn't address the concern that motivated this
> > discussion: that the license texts which have restrictions on
> > modification are non-free works by the DFSG, yet are being
> > distributed in Debian against the Social Contract.
>
> This concern DOES NOT NEED TO BE ADDRESSED.  It needs to be IGNORED.

You seem to be saying that a violation of the social contract should
be ignored. My response to that is that where there is a violation,
the social contract and actual practice are out of sync, and one or
the other (or both) needs to be changed.

If that's not what you're saying, please clarify.

--
 \       "Working out the social politics of who you can trust and why |
  `\      is, quite literally, what a very large part of our brain has |