Re: Request for GR: clarifying the license text licensing / freeness issue

Francesco Poli <frx@firenze.linux.it>
> On Mon, 16 Apr 2007 09:11:52 +0100 (BST) MJ Ray wrote: [...]
> > Has it?  I've seen a few people write down this assumption, but I've
> > usually disagreed with them.
>
> I'm afraid you then think that you have to purge every GPLv2 preamble
> from Debian main. [...]

I'm afraid that your telepathy device is broken.  While we should (note
should, not must) purge the preamble from packages which contain the GPL
where it is not needed for the distribution of the package, it remains
because other parts of our promise are equally important.

This doesn't make licence texts an exception to our rules, but an example
of how to handle conflict in our promise without giving free rein to all
abuses.  The rest of the 'slippery slope' posted vanishes as a result of
removing the false dichotomy.  Sorry it's grey, not black or white for you.

Regards,
--
MJR/slef