Re: Redistribution with multiple licenses

Suraj N. Kurapati wrote:
> 3. When you modify a contained item, your modifications become
> licensed under the contained item's license.

Your first two points are correct, but this one is not.
You have *no right* to modify someone else's item except if the
license on that item permits it. And then you have to examine
that item's license to determine what conditions can apply to
the modified version.

The MIT license permits me to apply any terms of my choosing
to a modified version of MIT licensed code. I can be more restrictive
than the original with my modified version.

The GPL only permits me to apply the GPL's own terms when I
distribute my modified version, but imposes no restrictions when
I do not distribute it.

Arnoud

--
Arnoud Engelfriet, Dutch & European patent attorney - Speaking only for myself