Re: Can mysql-nonfree be resurrected?

On Thu, 12 Apr 2007 00:38:40 +0100 David Claughton wrote:

[...]
> Anyway according to bug #308680 this package was removed because the
> manual was at the time undistributable.

Yes, after reading the looong bug log, it seems so.

> However according to the MySQL website the license for the Reference
> manual now contains the following ...
>
> "You shall not publish or distribute this documentation in any form or
> on any media, except if you distribute the documentation in a manner
> similar to how MySQL disseminates it (that is, electronically for
> download on a Web site with the software) or on a CD-ROM or similar
> medium, provided however that the documentation is disseminated
> together with the software on the same medium"

Does this suffice to allow Debian to distribute the manual in
non-free, while distributing the server, client, and library in main?
I'm not really confident it does...

> My interpretation is that it would now be OK to resurrect
> mysql-nonfree.

I'm personally undecided: I have some concerns that the granted
permission could be deemed not enough for a distribution like the one
the Debian Project would perform...

[...]
> P.S. Please CC me in - I'm not subscribed - Thanks.

Done.

--
 http://frx.netsons.org/doc/nanodocs/etch_workstation_install.html
 Need to read a Debian etch installation walk-through?