Re: Debian-approved creative/content license?

On Sun, 11 Mar 2007 19:04:57 +0000 Måns Rullgård wrote:

> Ken Arromdee <arromdee@rahul.net> writes:
>
> > On Sun, 11 Mar 2007, Ben Finney wrote:
> >> Those licenses can apply to any software, not just programs. So, if
> >> the software is an audio work or picture, a software license like
> >> GPL or Expat can apply to it.
> >
> > Actually, there's one big problem.  The GPL's "preferred form for
> > modification" clause.
[...]
> The "preferred form for modification" for a film director is often a
> reshoot of the scene.  I guess this means that a GPL video would have
> to ship with (a copy of) Tom Cruise if he happens to be one of the
> actors in the film.  Sounds difficult to fulfill.

No, that is the preferred form for recreating the film from scratch!

The preferred form for *modifying* the film is the video recording in
some format that is, well, preferred for, well, making modifications
(adding special effects, postproduction, editing, and so forth: think
about the so-called "special editions" of old movies, scenes are not
shot again with the original actors, but they may be modified in various
ways).

--
 http://frx.netsons.org/progs/scripts/refresh-pubring.html
 Need to refresh your keyring in a piecewise fashion?