Re: creative commons

On Wed, 10 Jan 2007 18:44:50 -0800 Jeff Carr wrote:

> On 01/09/07 16:34, Francesco Poli wrote:
>
> > Drafting and actively promoting licenses that forbid commercial use
> > and/or modifications harms the free software movement, rather than
> > helping it.
>
> That hasn't always worked out to be the case in my experience. Books
> and documentation are a common one where that isn't always the case.
> Small independent publishers and authors have used those clauses to
> protect themselves from the really giant publishing houses.

You seem to be happy with free programs whose documentation is non-free.
I am instead really really sad to see how many people seem to fail to
understand the importance of freeness when talking about non-programs
(documentation, music, visual art, literature, ...).  I believe that
freeness is important for non-programs for the very same reasons why
it's important for programs.

> > Here (on debian-legal) we are interested in licenses that grant the
> > important freedoms in a legally sound way.  The important freedoms
> > are the ones that follow from the spirit of the DFSG.
>
> Off hand, I wonder if it would be helpful to have a debian-dfsg list.
> It might make it easier to separate the arguments more clearly and
> also lower the noise for the bona fide lawyers around here who are
> willing to donate their time to give us free legal guidance. :)
[...]

I don't think it would make sense to separate legal issues from freeness
ones.
Why?  Because they are often intertwined together: you cannot be sure
the important freedoms are granted, if you don't take the legal context
into account.

--
 http://frx.netsons.org/progs/scripts/releas-o-meter.html
 Try our amazing Releas-o-meter!