Re: Is this legal? [RFP: djohn -- Distributed password cracker]

On Thu, Jan 04, 2007 at 06:04:21PM +1100, Andrew Donnellan <ajdlinux@gmail.com> wrote:
> AFAIK, in many jurisdictions, in regards to copyright circumvention it
> is often determined on the basis of 'is there any commercially viable
> legal use?' rather than 'is there any legal use?'. Did anyone
> *actually* use the program for legal purposes?
>
> Of course, as you mention the trial is not done yet, and if he's let
> off that should set a good precedent.

But if he's not, that would set a very bad one. And in a country where
the acquittal rate is below 1%[1]...

Anyways, there a huge load of programs, starting with tools provided in
a standard Windows environment, that can be used for copyright
infringment or other illegal affairs. Should we just put all computer
programmers to prison ?

Mike

1. http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=259848