Re: JOGL in Debian

On 29/12/2007, Sylvestre Ledru <sylvestre.ledru@inria.fr> wrote:
> On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 12:20:14 -0600, "Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso"
> <jordigh@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Does French law define "intellectual property"? What does it define it to
> > be?
>
> Of course, our law defines what is an "intellectual property" and it is
> going futher.

I see.

A lot of other local laws don't define "intellectual property", but
people use the term anyways as if it were legally defined. It's sad
news to see that France does and that other laws are also doing it.
:-(

On 29/12/2007, Arnoud Engelfriet <arnoud@engelfriet.net> wrote:
> I'm not sure if any law has a more precise definition. The term IP
> is well-enough understood as a term of art for copyrights, patents,
> trademarks, semiconductor rights, plant breeders' rights and so on.

Or internet protocol or imaginary property. Heh.

Anyways, TRIPS seems to define "intellectual property" to be
"copyright and related rights", trademarks, "geographical indications"
(this one is new for me. If I label my product as originating from my
country, then this is intellectual property? What does intellect have
to do with being born in a specific geographical location?),
industrial designs, patents, "layout designs of integrated circuits"
(why include a section just for this, and why not subsume this under
industrial designs?), and "protection of undisclosed information".
This last one is also broad enough to include almost anything, since
any information that "has commercial value because it is secret" is
"protected" under this law. I wonder if 09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41
56 C5 63 56 88 C0 is breaking that law, and I wonder what intellect
was required to come up with a seemingly random number.

If they want to use that definition, maybe "information property"
could be a better expansion of the IP acronym.

Uh. I guess I'm getting offtopic for this list. Any suggestions on
where to move the discussion to?

- Jordi G. H.