Re: Would it be legal?

Joakim Olsson <jocke@gnu.org> writes:

> Hey! Would it be legal if I made a distro based on Debian which uses
> the same repositories and then release it to the public?

Since Debian is 100% free, by design, you are free to modify and
redistribute whatever you get in Debian. Just be sure that when you do
so, you're following the license terms on everything.

Distributions based on Debian
<URL:http://www.debian.org/misc/children-distros> usually use separate
repositories for practical reasons -- it allows them to customise the
actual packages available, thus making their offering attractive to
people who might prefer it over Debian proper.

What would be your purpose in making a Debian derivative and using the
Debian repositories? How would it be different (for the user) from
using Debian itself?

If you have some specific concern about legalities, please explain it
and we might be able to give more specific answers.

--
 \        "My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four. |
  `\            Unless there are three other people."  -- Orson Welles |