Re: Final text of AGPL v3

On 20/11/2007, Sean Kellogg <skellogg@gmail.com> wrote:
> As a
> user of a website running the stack I'm really interacting with two
> things...  the browser which presents all this pretty buttons and
> links...  and the apache server by means of HTTP requests.  It's the
> server which then goes and talks to the PHP/Perl/Python code to
> generate a bunch of HTML and is then sent back to the user via HTTP.

All this serves me right for wading into technical details... ;-)

I agree with what you say, and this seems consistent with the FSF
guidance (where the priority is on "receiving and making requests",
see http://www.fsf.org/licensing/licenses/gpl-faq.html#AGPLv3InteractingRemotely).
So the apache server *would* be software capable of supporting
interaction over a network.

> Ultimately I am still left without a meaningful definition of
> interaction.

I agree that it would be helpful to have further guidance from the
FSF. It appears though that the key elements are (i) accepting user
requests and sending them over a network, and (ii) this being in some
way inherent to the application's intended functionality (i.e. it
"supports" such interaction in an active, intentional sense, rather
than such interaction merely being technically possible).

John