Re: Java, GPL and CDDL

Yves Combe <yves@ycombe.net> writes:

> I am wondering if Java GPLed application can link with CDDL classes?
> Case looks like the cdrecord question i saw in the archive.

To understand whether there's a license conflict, there needs to be an
understanding of whether copyright is invoked by "linking". In many
jurisdictions, this boils down to whether the action of distributing a
work, Foo, that "links to" work Bar, is thus distributing a derivative
work of Bar.

This, in turn, depends on the technicalities of what's happening in
the instance of "links to"; I don't know Java well enough to say
definitely.

The FSF's legal theory is that, in the case where Foo is a program and
Bar is a library in the C programming model, "Foo links to Bar" is
sufficient to satisfy "Foo is a derivative work of Bar". To my
knowledge, this theory has not yet been tested in any court.

If the FSF is correct on the above, I don't know how far this would
extend to other "links to" implementations in other languages.

> The case is in CarMetal (geometrical program derived from the wondeful
> CaR from René Grothman)
> http://db-maths.nuxit.net/CaRMetal/
>
> CarMetal uses colorchooser https://colorchooser.dev.java.net/ wich is
> CDDL licensed.
> Is that ok for dfsg ?

I hope the above helps the issue become clearer — or at least points
out where the gnarly details are :-)

> (please cc-me)

Done.

--
 \      "A society that will trade a little liberty for a little order |
  `\    will lose both, and deserve neither."  -- Thomas Jefferson, in |