Re: transitive GPL (exim4, OpenSSL, mySQL and others)

On Fri, 9 Nov 2007 19:16:49 +0000, Ian Jackson
<ian@davenant.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
>Marc Haber writes ("transitive GPL (exim4, OpenSSL, mySQL and others)"):
>> (1)
>> Is it ok to change exim's SSL library to OpenSSL in the current setup
>> without violating the GPL for some of the library currently in use
>
>You mentioned libpq and mysql.  What other libraries are involved ?

I am quite interested in the general case.

>> (3)
>> Is this violation maybe already happening by virtue of linking
>> indirectly to OpenSSL via libpq?
>
>Does libpq pull in OpenSSL ?

libpq-dev depends on libssl-dev, yes.

>What is the licence of libpq ?

|  Permission to use, copy, modify, and distribute this software and its
|  documentation for any purpose, without fee, and without a written agreement
|  is hereby granted, provided that the above copyright notice and this
|  paragraph and the following two paragraphs appear in all copies.
(two "no warranty" disclaimers deleted, see
/usr/share/doc/libpq-dev/copyright)

>I think we could give you a better answer if you provided a full
>run-down of the facts: a complete list of all of the libraries and
>programs which are used when you compile exim in this way, how they
>relate to each other, and what their licenses are.

Is there a tool that follows the library link path and at least lists
all libraries depended on, or do I need to spend days to collect this
manually?

Greetings
Marc