Re: Re: Applications linking against GPLv2 only libqt3/libqt4 and [L]GPLv3+libraries

Ian Jackson writes:
<quote>
Richard Guenther writes ("Applications linking against GPLv2 only
libqt3/libqt4 and [L]GPLv3+  libraries"):
> With the last version updates both libgsl0ldbl and libgmp3c2 became
> GPLv3+ respective LGPLv3+.  But there exist numerous applications
> linking against one of these libraries, simultaneously linking against
> one of the Qt libraries which are GPLv2 only and despite having numerous
> linking exceptions, the GPLv3 variants are not amongst them.

Could you give some examples of these applications ?  I think that
this shows that making these libraries GPLv2-only at this stage may
have been a mistake.
</quote>

for p in `apt-cache rdepends libgsl0ldbl`; do apt-cache depends $p |
grep -q libqt && echo $p; done
W: Unable to locate package Reverse
W: Unable to locate package Depends:
xorsa
snd-gtk
qtiplot
qgis
meep-mpi
meep
labplot
kwave
kst-plugins

those are applications linking to GPLv3+ libgsl and GPLv2 only libqt.

for p in `apt-cache rdepends libgmp3c2`; do apt-cache depends $p | grep
-q libqt && echo $p; done
W: Unable to locate package Reverse
W: Unable to locate package Depends:
ktorrent
klamav
kcalc
libcgal2
xorsa
regina-normal
qalculate-kde
ktorrent
klamav
kcalc
ihu

this is the same list for LGPLv3+ libgmp.  I don't know of other GPLv2
only libraries than Qt.

Richard.