Re: GPL 3 and derivatives

Olive wrote:
> Following this text it is rather clear that you cannot link GPL software
> with a non GPL-compatible library. But what the other way around? Why
> would it be forbidden to link non GPL sofwares with GPL-only libraries?

It's not forbidden. A derivative work of GPL and non-GPL software
may be made. However, such a derivative work can only be *distributed*
after the whole derivative has been licensed under the GPL.

> Why the GPL should apply to such a sofware? If that reasoning is
> correct; the GPL would be essentially the same as the LGPL.

I don't understand what you are saying here.

The LGPL specifically permits the creation of certain derivative works
that may be distributed under non-(L)GPL terms. The LGPL was
originally intended for libraries (its original name was "Library GPL")
but can of course be applied to any work.

Arnoud

--
Arnoud Engelfriet, Dutch & European patent attorney - Speaking only for myself
              Arnoud blogt nu ook: http://blog.iusmentis.com/