Re: GPL 3 and derivatives

John Halton <johnhalton@gmail.com> writes:

> The FSF isn't mysteriously imposing on people the obligation to
> comply with their own local copyright laws. That obligation exists
> already.

This leads logically to discussions about legal systems that expect
everyone to act within the law, yet are both far too complex for an
average person to understand, and severely disjoint from what an
average person would expect the law should be.

But such discussions are probably rather off-topic on this list.

> John
>
> (IAAL but TINLA)

Welcome, John (I've not seen you post here before this week). It's
great to see a qualified legal expert here among all we amateurs.

Questions of interest to me and perhaps others on this list, that you
can nevertheless choose not to answer if you please: Is your field
related to copyright law? In which jurisdiction do you practice?

--
 \     "Our task must be to free ourselves from our prison by widening |
  `\    our circle of compassion to embrace all humanity and the whole |