Re: The legality of cdrecord

Joerg.Schilling@fokus.fraunhofer.de (Joerg Schilling) writes:

> The GPL explicitely allows to use code under other licenses from GPL
> code.

Please point out exactly where the GPLv2 explicitly permits this.

On the contrary, in section 2b, the GPLv2 explicitly requires
redistribution under the terms of the GPLv2.

=====
  2. You may modify your copy or copies of the Program or any portion
of it, thus forming a work based on the Program, and copy and
distribute such modifications or work under the terms of Section 1
above, provided that you also meet all of these conditions:

    [...]
    b) You must cause any work that you distribute or publish, that in
    whole or in part contains or is derived from the Program or any
    part thereof, to be licensed as a whole at no charge to all third
    parties under the terms of this License.
=====

Redistributing a GPL work in such a way that it's not "licensed as a
whole [...] under the terms of this license" is thus a violation of
the license terms on the work.

--
 \            "I was in the grocery store. I saw a sign that said 'pet |
  `\      supplies'. So I did. Then I went outside and saw a sign that |